Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hungry? Ham & Bean Soup


Anybody hungry?

All this cold weather makes me want warm soup.
I hate store brought soups.  
Sometimes I'm not even sure what the mystery meat in them are.
So I made a huge crockpot of Ham & Bean soup the way it should be.
The ham is even real ham, not mystery meat.

Homemade bean soup is soooooo easy.
All you need is a crockpot, 1 package dried ham beans, 1 pound of chopped ham, 
6 cups boiling water, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon sugar,
1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 chopped onion and let your crockpot do the rest.  
I cook mine for 4 hours on high and you get a thick, hearty soup that tastes delicious.
We all love sweet corn muffins with ours. 

I have plenty if anyone is hungry. 
 But you better get here soon because it won't last long.



Angel


5 comments:

  1. That looks delish! I just have a couple of questions :-D 1. What kind of ham did you use, or does it matter? 2. Are the been the dry uncooked or canned? I am assuming canned b/c you cook for 4 hours, correct? I have never heard of ham beans, but I can't looked for them before either! :-D Thanks for sharing this scrumptious yummy recipe!

    Melanie
    My Imperfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melanie
    I use bone in ham, chopped to preference. Never canned beans, ham beans are just dried beans that come with a seasoning pack if you wish to use it, I don't. The way you cook this soup in 4 hours is because you use boiling water to start. This gives your crockpot a big head start on cooking time. Give it a try, you'll be amazed at how hearty and tasty it will be. Enjoy
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness this sounds so yummy Angel and yes please I would love some but I think by the time I got to you from Ireland there would be none left, lol. I will definitely be trying this receipe and I know it will go down well with my brood. Thanks for sharing.

    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made a soup like this before but it sounds yummy :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, Angel! Thank you so much for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party :-)

    ReplyDelete