Sunday, April 5, 2015

Five Favorite Flowering Shrubs

by Angie Ouellette-Tower for godsgrowinggarden.com photo BlogStuff4_zpsewuuijaa.jpg



Rejoice for it's Springtime! - this post is my 13th "Contributing Angel" post (Thank you  again to my friend Angel for allowing me to contribute to your amazing blog!)

Today I am sharing with you my five favorite flowering shrubs.  Flowering bushes are the easiest type of flower to grow in your garden since there is almost no upkeep.  Also, if you plant the correct varieties you will have something in bloom all season long!  As an example: here in southern Michigan the Forsythia usually blooms in April, the Lilac in May, Spirea end of May & into June, Snowball is middle of June & the Rose of Sharon blooms the end of July and even into August.  So, start planting & ENJOY!

by Angie Ouellette-Tower for godsgrowinggarden.com photo 2014-05-16_zpsjng83cxk.jpg
Lilacs are one of the most long-lived flowering shrubs of the spring.  There are also so many different varieties of Lilacs: double lilac, light purple lilac, dark purple lilac, white lilac, French lilac etc. - the list is endless.

If you are not familiar with the lilac bush then you are missing out on the most wonderful scented flowers in God's Growing Garden.


by Angie Ouellette-Tower for godsgrowinggarden.com photo 2014-05-23_zpsq7hro4kd.jpg
I just love this flowering shrub - it reminds me of my grandparents because they had a beautiful snowball bush.  To me this flower resembles the Hydrangea flower but on a smaller scale.  This is a very easy shrub to grow and maintain.


by Angie Ouellette-Tower for godsgrowinggarden.com photo 2013-07-26_zps1fpw5uxe.jpg
The Rose of Sharon is a royal and regal looking flower and it really is the easiest flower to grow.  Simply: plant, water and leave.

I have 3 different varieties of the Rose of Sharon as seen in the picture above.  This flower is related to the Hibiscus plant and if you look closely - the middle of each Rose of Sharon flower resembles that of the Hibiscus.


by Angie Ouellette-Tower for godsgrowinggarden.com photo 2013-05-27_zpsfzctho5q.jpg
This beautiful shrub will add a touch of class to any yard or landscape.  It has the most detailed & delicate flower bunches almost resembling lace.
The Spirea shrub should be trimmed every year after the flowers dry up and turn yellow.  However,  I do NOT trim my Spirea bush because I love how the flowers cascade down like a waterfall.  The level of maintaining this flowering bush is totally up to your taste.


by Angie Ouellette-Tower for godsgrowinggarden.com photo BlogStuff4-001_zpsy3rqbsbm.jpg
The Forsythia shrub is always the earliest blooming flower in my garden and it is the most beautiful color yellow that you will ever see.  There have even been a few years when it has even started blooming before the crocuses show their beauty.  This shrub, when not maintained properly, will become wild and quite a nuisance.  The Forsythia bush really should be trimmed every year.




4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love all of these. I can't wait for spring (still winter up here in CT). I always look forward to the lilac blooming -- it is the best smell in the world:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful and so fun to have and to photograph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these are beautiful, but I absolutely love lilacs. They smell so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these except rose of Sharon, it isn't one of my favorites. The only one I don't have is spirea & it looks like I need to find a spot for it!

    ReplyDelete