Sunday, October 26, 2014

Shampoo Bar - 100% Natural Product



Hello again from Natalie Loves Beauty! In my effort to incorporate more natural products into my beauty routine, I've been on the hunt for toxin-free hair care products, and while vacationing in Alberta this past summer, my sister, cousin and I stumbled upon a lovely shop in Banff called the Rocky Mountain Soap Company, which offers 100% natural bath and body products. Sadly we do not have this store on the East Coast, but the good news is that the company is expanding and there are now 10 locations across the West Coast. It was actually my first time hearing about this company, and the beauty blogger in me obviously could not not go in. As soon as I set foot in the store, I was overwhelmed (in a good way of course!) by the variety of products that they carry and the invigorating scents that immediately put me in a state of zenness. All their products are handmade in Canmore, Alberta and include ingredients such as essential oils, herbs, real grains and natural fruit bits. I've never tried a solid shampoo, so when I saw the Rocky Mountain Soap Company Shampoo Bar with Rosemary (C$5.25), I knew I had to put it to the test.


First, let me start off by saying that this Shampoo Bar will last you a very long time! I've been using it ever since I got it a couple of months ago and I am still not even near having used half of it. This shampoo is cruelty-free (as are all of their products) and vegan, and contains no sulfates or other chemicals. It is targeted for people with a normal to dry scalp, and the ingredient list includes coconut oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, olive oil, castor seed oil and rosemary leaf oil. As you may have guessed, this product has a very earthy and warm scent to it. One thing I quickly learned is that not much is needed, since after my first wash, my hair was left looking and feeling weighted down and greasy (which I should have know considering it is primarily made of water and oils). I learned from my mistake and now only apply a very thin layer and it does suffice to cover my mid-back long hair. I simply wet my hair followed by the shampoo bar and work it into my hands to have it slightly melt and then work it into my scalp until it forms a nice lather before applying it to my ends. It's also important to rinse well to get all of the product out. Because this shampoo is oil-based, I don't find the need to follow up with a conditioner since it is so moisturizing.


For the results and the price, I think this product is a steal! I wish I would have picked up more beauty items, although I did also purchase a copy of the book that they had on display near the register titled "There's Lead in Your Lipstick: Toxins in Our Everyday Body Care and How to Avoid Them" by Gillian Deacon, which I still haven't gotten around to reading. The good news is that they have an online store that offers worldwide shipping, so if you are interested in trying their products, there is the option!


I thought I would leave you with a few pictures from my trip - I really can't wait to go back! Alberta definitely should be added to your bucket list if you haven't been already!

Tunnel Mountain - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Lake Louise - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
Whistlers Mountain - Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada
One of many caribou sightings - Alberta, Canada
Have you tried a shampoo bar or even tried making your own? Who knows, that might just be my next endeavor!
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Banff looks so beautiful! I have never been but would love to go. Great review on the shampoo! Its especially cool that it is a Canadian made product :)

    http://www.skinnybelle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a place to visit! Always love supporting Canadian brands! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow - those are amazing pictures of Alberta! I've never been there but I have a cousin who lives in Edmonton so I should visit her!
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cousin lives in Edmonton too! We took the trip down to do some sightseeing - hope you get the chance some day, it is absolutely stunning!

      Delete
  3. This is the post I needed!
    I brought an all natural oil based shampoo bar and I was all excited to use it, I really want to get more into natural beauty and I loved the concept of the shampoo bar, especially for travel use!
    But it also left my hair feeling weighted down and greasy, I just thought it didn't work, thanks for pointing out that I'm using too much (and it will last even longer!).
    Thanks for the post, #WakeupWednesday

    ReplyDelete