Sunday, October 12, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Aloha Sew Crafty Angel Readers! Hope you are all doing wonderful.

Each month I feel so happy and blessed to be returning to share something over here as one of Angel's Contributing Angels. If you haven't met the other "Angels" yet, stop by and tell them hello! I'm Debbie from Heartbeats~ Soul Stains.

Angel has some great recipes and I love her soup ones: she has her Southwestern Chicken & Black Bean Soup recipe and her hearty Chicken & Dumplings recipe you might want to check out.

I love soup, all kinds of soup. I often eat soup as my entire meal. My kids and husband will often ask where's the food? Hmmmmmm well, obviously they haven't caught on to the amazingness of soup YET!!!!

Here's a recipe for my Butternut Squash Soup, hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

butternutsquashsoup

 

Ingredients:

1 Large Butternut Squash- peeled and cubed (discard seeds)

5 cups fat-free chicken broth- you may use vegetable if you prefer

1 medium onion- chopped

1/2 tsp salt

1 medium red bell pepper- chopped

2-3 cloves of garlic- peeled and minced

2 TBSP sugar- more can be added if you'd like

1 tsp ground ginger-if you have time minced ginger is so much better

1 tsp ground sage

1/2 cup heavy cream

Cinnamon or Nutmeg, for garnish

 

Directions:

Place all the ingredients except heavy cream and cinnamon/nutmeg into a large pot. Bring everything to a boil, once it's boiling cover the pot and simmer for just about 30 minutes. You'll be done simmering once the squash is tender.

If you have a hand immersion blender (like I wish I had) you can puree the soup until it's completely smooth right in the pot. If you are like me and haven't gotten one yet :( let the soup cool a little and work in batches and puree in a regular blender. It turns out the same but I must admit seeing others use the immersion blender I can see it's much easier and there are less dishes.

Once the soup is silky smooth (if you used a stand up blender return all to the your large pot) add in the heavy cream. Simmer until all the soup is heated through. This is the time to taste and see if it needs a little more salt or sugar. I prefer my soup to have a light sweet taste, you can add more or less to your liking.

The heavy cream does add a few calories and some fat but it sure does make this wonderful soup delicious. If you want an ultra healthy version you can omit the heavy cream.

Since sizes of squash may vary; when adding in the chicken broth if it seems like it's too much or too little add less. You want the liquid to just go over the top of your ingredients.

When serving add a little pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the top! Enjoy :)

What kind of soup do you like? Do you make homemade soups for your family?

Debbie Tom 

2 comments:

  1. That looks & sounds delicious!! Thanks so much Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good. I love soup all year long, even when it's hot out!

      Delete