Saturday, May 10, 2014

Roadside Treasures

A few weeks ago I found this desk chair on the side of the road.
I just couldn't leave it behind.
 I loaded it into my SUV and headed home with my roadside treasure.

It was obviously worn and needed some TLC.  Every screw in the chair was missing or 
ready to fall out.  It was barely holding together but the bones were just awesome



I took it in the back yard and scrubbed it up to assess my find.
I removed the seat and replaced all the 
screws and made sure it was safe to use.  The up and down mechanism worked
like new with a few squirts of WD40.  It tilted like new.  The wheels
were gunked and dirty but cleaned up great.


Next came the seat.  You can see it was well-worn and pretty flat in the middle.

I had a piece of fabric left from some curtains I had made and decided to use
it for a seat cover.  


 The seat was a pretty easy fix.  I  measured it to the amount
of fabric I would need.  Popped off the back cover and fluffed the seat pad.
Used a staple gun with small staples to secure the new seat cover to the wood of the seat.


This is the recovered seat.  I love roses and I can recover it any time
I feel like changing the cover.

Here is my chair when it was finished.  I love the worn edges of the wood.
I had considered sanding and painting it but I just like the true look of the wood.


 So I ended up with a fantastic swivel/reclining sewing chair at no cost.
That's my idea of trash to treasure.


Happy Roadside Shopping
Angel

19 comments:

  1. I love this upcycle, great job and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difference a piece of fabric made is great. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric is lovely! I think this would have looked lovely paid ted white too far a shabby chic style finish :-)

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love roses too! My curtains are roses. I agree Fiona, I think it would look nice if it were painted white.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find - it looks like new now. Love the fabric you used for the seat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! This is the reason I want to garage sale more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a nice-looking chair under it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I would totally buy something like this if I saw it in the store. It looks as good as new. I love your idea of putting the fabric over the seat. Thank you for sharing this with us at Countdown in Style, Angel. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angel I think your right preserving the wood as is was a good choice and I love the new over, it is so you!! Your lucky to have been the one who gave this little chair a new home!! great trash to treasure!
    Karren
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to find items on the side of the road and your chair is surely a treasure. Your have done a beautiful job on the tutorial and the chair looks amazing. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a lucky find and you did a beautiful job with it! Thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find. Love how you upcycled it. Nothing like finding something great by the road. It doesn't get better than that.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did such a great job with this find. I would love to make over a treasure. I had some chairs that I promised myself that I'd make over and never did. I won't let that happen again. Thanks for sharing with Countdown in Style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out so good! Pinned! Thanks for being part of our party. I hope you will swing by on Monday at 7 pm and party with us! We love having you. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love finding old things and giving it a new life as well. Your chair turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow someone threw that out?! Great find and nice job transforming to a usable piece of furniture again. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely someone's Trash was your Treasure- what a great find, and great job on refinishing. Here from Weekends are fun Blog Hop. Hope to see you at my dance. BB2U

    ReplyDelete
  18. That turned out really nice. I love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete