Saturday, March 1, 2014

Baking Fluted Baby Cakes with the Kids

  I want to share my love of cooking with my children but I also work a full-time job so finding time to create good food is sometimes a challenge.  So the kids and I decided to play with a box of cake mix.

Our project was a fun treat for the kids.
"Funfetti" seemed like a good name to start with, lol.



Definitely a time saver.  The photo below is all I needed to make the batter.



There was a good amount of colored sprinkles in the mix.
Yea!!!

Whipped up good with only a spatuala spoon.  
My tool of choice for easy clean up.

We used a fluted pan and a ice cream scooper to fill the pan.
The kids had a blast with this part.

Baked for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Our finished Baby Cake was golden brown and smelled delicious.

One box of Funfetti made 16 of these flutted cakes.


Ok, here's where it the whole thing went south.
The kids wanted green glaze.  I can handle that, a little food coloring in the
glaze and we are good to go.
 I let the kids put on the green drizzle and they had lots of fun.

Picture this in your mind:  4 kids, green food coloring and sugar.
My kids and kitchen were covered with Green!  
My 2 year old looked like a little man from Mars, lol.




These little cakes were really good, moist and tender.
I was really impressed at how tasty they were.

We had a lot of fun and had a wonderful treat in a short amount of time.
Have fun with your kids even if it means you can't have everything made from scratch.
You can make another cake, each child is one of a kind and you can never make another just like it.

Angel

18 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!!!!
    Http://www.peacockreview.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, looks yummy, even with the green drizzle. Boxed cakes do surprise me sometimes too, they're great in a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading these posts about you with your kids! I love to be creative and have fun enjoying all of these kinds of moments with mine too. I have had some debacles like the green glaze around here too! Thanks for linking up with my first link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet thing to do with your children - literally. I have a similar pan I will be making these - maybe minus the green, but St. Patrick's is just around the corner so maybe they will be green.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea of the fluted baby cakes and making them with the kids. This will surely be a project for out next 'no school day'.
    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My cousin used to love confetti cake for her birthday. This reminds me of that for sure. I like the tins you used to shape the cakes differently. Thanks for sharing with us at Countdown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angel, your fluted cakes look so good and it looks like you all have fun in the kitchen! I have made the confetti into cupcakes and my daughter husband I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look scrummy! Since pancake mania I've been on a bit of a baking session! Today I've made cupcakes and peach crumble! They may have to be my next project!

    #wakeupwednesday

    http://lilypodandsweetpea.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool to think that I was talking to you on the phone when you were making these beautiful & delicious cakes! I wish I could have been there in person tasting them!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best part is that the kids helped. You are a fun mommy xo P.S.Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited...I have one of these baking pans and can do this! Thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids would adore these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! These looks delicious! A little mess is not a problem. Thanks for linking up with Countdown in Style. I'd love to try these with my little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so pretty! :-) Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to share with us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2014/03/try-new-recipe-tuesday-march-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute - I need that pan! Thanks for sharing this at the Friday Frenzy - see you there again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, these look so good, I love the green.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so incredible! Loving it! Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete