Sunday, January 27, 2013

Jacob's Heart in Gods Hands Quilt

Happy Sunday Everyone,

Hope all is well with you and your family. I'm starting a new sewing project and making a small wall quilt. It is just at the beginning stage and it's taking me forever, but I usually only get to work on it during Jacob's nap times. 

It's far from complete.  Each side rectangle will have a flower inserted to represent that what is planted by Gods hand will grow and flourish.  Each of the 4 corners will have a patched heart showing that God accepts all hearts especially the ones with patches that he can heal and make whole, at least that's the plan.  I haven't chosen a backing fabric yet, but I do love to go to Joanns and shop.  I purchased some small heart shaped buttons to attach to the inner checkered middle squares.

We want Jacob to understand the power of our God and this is a story that I've made for him that I share as I sew.  The hand stitching is fun because Jacob likes to put is finger on the hearts in Gods hands and I repeatedly have to tell him what is means.  He doesn't understand yet but he will and our prayer is that he will always keep his heart in Gods hands. 

There is so much violence in the world today directed towards our children and I want Jacob to know that if he's ever faced with tragedy and dad and I aren't there, that God will be with him.  As a nurse for many years I've seen a lot of the cruelties that people direct toward children and it breaks my heart to think that Jacob could someday be faced with circumstances out of his control and feel alone and afraid. 

At this stage of his life I can cuddle him and kiss the ouches away but that won't always be the case, for as he grows older so do I especially as we were blessed with Jacob in our older years. Last night as he slept on my chest, and I felt his soft rhythmic breathing, everything in the world was right for those few minutes and I knew that he was safe and I would die before I'd let anyone or anything hurt him. 

However there will come a day when he will venture out into the world and he will need someone stronger that his elderly old mom-mom for strength. There will be a day when I won't be there to hold him when he cries, but I can make sure he will never be alone. I want to fill his heart with the love of a God who has never tiring arms and the strength to set his feet back on solid ground should he fall, and a hedge of protection he can feel safe within.

That being said, you might think, "well a quilt isn't going to make him feel safe", which is true.  The quilt will rot and become rags someday, but the story he learns from the making of the quilt will hopefully be etched on his heart forever. God's Word never fades nor rots, but remains the same forever. Hopefully Jacobs love for God will also remain forever. 

 
I'll be posting progress pictures as time goes by. 
In the meantime, God Bless
Angel

7 comments:

  1. So in love with this quilt but most of all your words went straight to my heart.and I believe that he will appreciate the story behind this quilt as I do.ery beautiful.Swa your link on Cuddlebug Cuties and became a follower.
    God Bless,
    Migdalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Migdalia,
      Love your name, it's beautiful. Thanks for following. I'm new to blogging but loving it so far. I'm meeting some wonderful people like yourself.
      Blessings
      Angel

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely idea and a wonderful inspiration behind it. I have wanted to try quilting for a while but have always shied away from it so far.

    Thanks so much for linking up :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,
      Thanks for visiting my blog. You should try quilting, its very relaxing. I love all types of crafts, I just need more hours in my days.
      Best,
      Angel

      Delete
  3. Hello I have come over from Cuddlebug Cuties.
    Lovely quilt. I am glad you are teaching Jacob about God at an early age. My eldest daughter went to Sunday school from age 18 months and my youngest from 2 weeks old. They are now Lynda 40 and Angela 34 and both very active in their churches. A few years ago Angela had all the children in the Sunday school which we were attending then, draw onto calico stories from the bible, even the youngest beginner. She then made all the squares into a quilt which was presented to the church. She moved away 6 years ago but it is still hanging on the wall. I am hopeless at sewing but Angela is very talented and has been sewing since she was 10 years old. I look forward to seeing the progress of the quilt and hearing more about Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute quilt! I wish I could sew but I can't even make a straight line :( I am thankful to Anna at Cuddlebug Cuties for hosting this link party so I can see your fabulous work. I wouldn't have found you other wise. Jacob will be grateful to have this someday and to have such a talented mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me encanta la interpretacion de la tarjeta... para mi representa union... y amistad

    ReplyDelete