Hi Sew Crafty Angel readers!
Today as part of my contributor post I will be sharing with you my secret on how I naturally lighten my hair using two simple ingredients: lemons and chamomile. Having dark blonde hair, my hair lightens in the summer by just staying out in the sun, but these two tricks are great if you want your hair to become even lighter. I enjoy doing this every once in a while once the weather is warmer, and after a couple of applications the results are definitely visible. I alternate between both methods, and they have both worked very well for my hair. Although I cannot attest to these tips working on darker hair, I have read that quite a few dark-haired women have seen results with this technique as well.
All you will need is:
2-3 whole lemons
1-2 chamomile tea bags
a lemon squeezer
a mesh sifter
1 cup boiling water
and a spray bottle (optional)
1. Cut your lemons in half and extract the juice using a squeezer.
2. Use the mesh sifter to trap any seeds and pulp when pouring into your bowl.
3. Pour directly onto your hair or use a spray bottle for a more subtle lightening effect.
4. Comb through your hair for even distribution.
5. Stay out in the sun for about an hour or until your hair is completely dry.
6. Rinse your hair in warm water or proceed to washing your hair as normal.
1. Place your chamomile tea bags in your bowl.
2. Bring water to a boil and pour into your bowl.
3. Let the tea bags steep for 1-2 hours.
4. Pour directly onto your hair or use a spray bottle for a more subtle lightening effect.
5. Comb through your hair for even distribution.
6. Stay out in the sun for about an hour or until your hair is completely dry.
7. Rinse your hair in warm water or proceed to washing your hair as normal.
|Time to soak up the sun!|
Although I see a significant difference after one treatment, what is so great is that you get gradual results and you can stop whenever you are happy with your hair color. To bring moisture back into my hair, I like doing a coconut oil hair mask right after (more on that here).
Let me know if you have tried this out! Do you have any other ways that you lighten your hair naturally?